Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pain and Rejoicing

It's Saturday, and this aftermoon I am leading a memorial service for a lady who was near and dear to my heart.  It is times like these that make pastoring weigh heavy on my  heart--but no, I wouldn't change what I do for anything.  I think that people don't realize the honor they pay their pastor when they allow us into their families at the most sacred moments: births, weddings, hospitalizations, anniversaries, and even deaths.  These are the times that are most sacred and most intimate in a family's life, and to allow an outsider in is a sign of honor, of love, of trust, and respect.  I can only pray that I live up to it all.

A seminary professor once said we shouldn't get too close to our flock--for in doing so we open oursleves not only to their hurts, but to the pain of eventually leaving.  My response was, and is, that if I don't hurt when they hurt, cry when they cry, laugh when they laugh, experience their joys as well as their pains, then I havn't really been much of a pastor.  Yes, I have both experienced and shared a  lot of pain; but I have also experienced and shared a lot of joy.  I have wept.  I have rejoiced.  And through it all, I have experienced, and hopefully shared, the love of God in Christ.

Blessings
ChaplainDann

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying reading your blog Dann. I am so glad you started one:) I appreciate your insight.

    You will stand firm today and support and love those who are hurting. I have seen you do it before and you are very good at what you do.

    God Bless You,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete